Tuesday, November 4, 2014

50th Anniversary

 Last summer, my siblings and I began talking about our parents 50th anniversary.  There were lots of things we wanted to do, but we knew the most important thing to our parents was that the entire family was there.  That hadn't happened in many years, so we all planned to come to Basehor in mid June of 2014.

Then I found out I was pregnant.  And that I was due the beginning of August.  I knew it didn't look good for me to attend.  By that time in my pregnancies, I am beyond uncomfortable and not moving a whole lot.  But I held out hope that somehow, some way I could attend.

Then I got my first ultrasound and found out the baby was due earlier than I had anticipated.  16 days earlier.  July 29th.  10 days after the big party was planned.  Sigh.  It was too late to change the date of the party. I was not going to be able to attend.  That broke my heart.

Paul and Courtney, Anna and Joseph, and Zack and Sam all loaded up in the van and took off a few days before the big party.  Ellie was already in Kansas, having traveled back with Grandma and Grandpa after Anna's wedding.  I tried not to cry.  I was unsuccessful. I was so sad that I wasn't in that van, but there was no way on earth that I could have made that trip that far along.

The party was a great success.  Many people attended from all stages of my parents marriage.  They were honored and my brother and sister did a great job throwing a wonderful party.  The older grandkids sang several songs for their grandparents and everyone pitched in and helped with the set up and clean up.

I'm so glad they had such a grand celebration.  They deserve it.  My parents have touched many lives during the span of the 50 years of their marriage.  I know they don't realize the impact they have had on so many.

But I'm still sad I didn't get to attend. :(



No comments: