Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Handkerchief and the Pearls

When I got married 26 years ago, my Grandmother Benzing gave me this little handkerchief before I got married.  I carried it in my wedding around my bouquet.  It was a special keepsake from her to I and I treasured it.

I kept it all these years in the box with my wedding photos.  When Anna got engaged, one of the first things I thought of was this handkerchief.  I told her about it and she eagarly said she would love to carry it around her flowers too.  And she did.  It was so nice to have a part of my Grandma at her wedding.

At the reception, she handed me the handkerchief because she didn't want to lose it.  I put it on the table with my camera.  At the end of the evening, I grabbed my camera and walked away from the table for a few minutes and then came back.

It was gone.  They had started cleaning up and had grabbed the handkerchief, thinking it was trash.  I was emotional already and this just sent me over the edge.  I cried.  I tried not to but I couldn't help it.  My sons heard me and came over to see what was wrong.  Before I knew what was happening, they were each going through the trash and Paul Jr. found it.  I was so relieved, and touched.


Anna also requested to wear these pearls, which had belonged to my Grandma.  I had them in my drawer for many years, believing that the clasp was broken, but come to find out, it wasn't.  I was touched that she wanted to wear them and they looked so nice with her dress.

And now these two things are put away safely for the next daughter who wants to wear them. :)

No comments: